Saturday, May 21, 2011

Knittng an Ugly!


This week I have knitted a couple of 'uglies'....now I'm quite sure you're wondering what on Earth I'm talking about and why on Earth would I want to knit an ugly....good question!

I belong to a few yahoo knitting groups, and a few weeks ago received an email saying we were going to do an 'ugly' exchange. Basically you take a bunch of odds and ends and knit away until you feel that you have reached your goal of a very ugly something! Now, believe me, this is not as easy as it sounds.

Generally when you knit you want your finished product to look nice, you tuck in ends, you definitely have a plan and you most certainly don't make mistakes on purpose!

This week my group has also been doing an ugly knit-a-long and my blog is quite ugly, it leaves me to wonder what one does with 'uglies'? I'm thinking gag gift, sew a bunch together for a big ole ugly blanket! Whatever the use, it's a great way to use up bits and pieces of yarn and a good way to practice new stitches, or a great
exercise in not having to make everything perfect!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like so much fun! I haven't knitted for quite a while because I have a little guy who's 2 1/2 who loves to get into things the second my attention is diverted. And I'm not one of those people who is good enough to knit without looking! I could do a bunch of these and not have to worry about paying such close attention to what I'm doing! The idea of an "ugly" blanket is pretty cool and, I'd be willing to bet, it would look great once it was done.

    PLUS, we have a thrift store here that always has little odds and ends of yarns for sale at a penny a ball (the longest is, maybe, 3 yds.)I always want to buy a bunch, but cannot give myself a good reason to do so - I think I have a great reason now!

    Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could knit. I find your ugly to be quite charming. :)

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments, thanks for stopping by!