The last weeks of school are drawing to a close, the crickets are chirping at night and the stars are twinkling, but are you stressed out and losing sleep over what you're going to do for fun this summer?
We all want to enjoy our summer, but it's nice to be able to plan a few get-aways without breaking the family bank and depending on the age of your children long road trips may be out of the question.
Here are a few get-aways that sound fun to me: I realize that some of my ideas may be a bit rugged and lean towards the Historical side of things, but isn't it time we leave technology home and truly spend time as a family?
1. A camping trip is a must, there are so many parks with wonderful trails, lakes, and rivers to explore, load up the bikes, some food, a lot of mosquito spray and take the kids for a weekend adventure. If you're lucky the park with have a bit of geo-caching nearby for some added fun!
2. How about a trip to your nearest water park. We are about 4 hours from Wisconsin Dells the water park mecca, but growing up we were only a couple of hours away and could do a day trip if we needed a quick get-away. What is more fun than splashing down slides at warp speed in the heat of summer?
3. How about a Rendezvous trip? If you look online you can find several re-enactment camps where you leave the year 2011 behind and step back in time living as the fur traders and trappers did. Hands on History is sure to be fun for all ages!
4. Living in MN I would love to visit the Boundary Waters, now this is certainly roughing it and you wouldn't want to bring extremely young children, but a long weekend canoeing the waters along the Canadian border sounds extremely relaxing. Throw in a fishing line and see what you'll catch! This is not for the faint of heart since I've heard it is rather rugged!
5. One more place that I think sounds fantastic is going to visit the covered bridges in Iowa as well as the Amana Colonies, also in Iowa. The two areas are not close to each other but think it would be worth the trip. Throw in a hotel with a pool and your kids will shout with joy!
No matter what you do you can be sure to have a wonderful get-away if you remember to plan ahead and remember what is truly important...FAMILY TIME! You don't need to spend a lot of money to make great memories, some of my favorite childhood memories are from the little moments in life, and yours can be too.
Just remember, relax and have fun!
Founded in 1974, Alamo Rent A Car is a value-oriented, internationally recognized brand serving the rental needs of airport leisure travelers. Alamo offers low rental rates and a hassle-free customer experience at the most popular travel destinations throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, Latin America and Asia. In addition, Alamo customers in the U.S. are able to conveniently choose their own vehicles, based upon their advance reservation and requested car class, and then simply drive away from the airport.
The Alamo membership club, Alamo Insiders, offers its members numerous perks including exclusive, member-only deals, quick and simple reservations, and frequent traveler miles with each rental.
“I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Alamo blogging program, for a gift card worth $25. For more information on how you can participate, click here.”